The 8th edition of the annual Eco Warrior Awards by Eco Tourism Kenya has been set for October 9 and will take place at a venue to be advised nearer to the time.
This annual award scheme focuses mainly on sustainability and recognizing truly green tourism enterprises, using a catalogue of criteria similar to the organization’s award scheme for bronze, silver, and gold rating, developed by Kenyans for Kenya to showcase excellence.
The seven award categories this year comprise:
1. Conservancy of the Year 2014: Conservancies with operational organizational structures and sustainable management systems; the conservancies should have viable and active nature conservation programs and credible benefit sharing schemes with land owners, observing equity and reliability. This category has two awards:
a. Private conservancy (for privately owned conservancies)
b. Community conservancy (community-owned nature conservancies)
2. Ecotourism Enterprise of the Year 2014: A tourism enterprise or operator with an on-going environmental conservation program linked to local people and their communities (even through the supply chain system) or under Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This category has 6 awards as follows:
ii. Tented Camp
c. Tour Operator
3. Eco-Rated Facility of the Year 2014: Are you an eco-rated facility? Then send in your nomination under this category via e-mail explaining why your facility should be the eco-rated facility of the year 2014. The eco-rating technical committee will reconsider your nomination based on the existing records and information at hand in EK.
4. Ecotourism Partnership of the Year 2014: Recognizes the most outstanding partnership between, a tourism investor or enterprise and a local community purposely for tourism business promotion. The partnership can be of any age but should show elements of fair trade, mutual respect and sustainability.
a) Community Investor
5. Ecotourism Journalist of the Year 2014: Recognize a journalist who has contributed to a better understanding of the value and benefits of ecotourism and the promotion of best tourism practices through journalism and mass media in general.
6. Ecotourism Student Innovation Award 2014: An student who has initiated or demonstrated strong leadership in an innovative project, product, or program that advocates for uniting tourism, communities and conservation.
7. Ecotourism Training Program of the year 2014: Recognizes the most outstanding ecotourism educational package offered by a training institution in the country at the moment.
Nominations must be received by Eco Tourism Kenya via email@example.com by August 8 at the latest, using ETK’s nomination form. Only businesses and service providers based or doing business in Kenya can be nominated.