The Regional Tourism Organisation of Southern Africa (RETOSA), a member of the Alliance, provides the following information:
Transfrontier Conservation Area (TFCA)
A Transfrontier Conservation Area (TFCA) in Southern Africa is an area straddling across two or more international borders where the natural and cultural resources are collaboratively managed by the governments/authorities involved. A Transfrontier Park (TFP) is an area where two or more protected areas are adjoined and collaboratively managed across the international borders.
The Objectives of TFCAs are Ecological, Socio-Economic and Governance based.
- Re- establish key ecological functions previously disrupted by limitations of opposing land uses and management principles across the borders;
- Re-establish seasonal migration routes for wildlife;
- Support /WRM management by promoting basin-wide approaches to the management of international rivers and wetlands.
- Promote growth of the tourism sector specifically cross-border tourism;
- Increase the economies of scale for economic activities such as eco-tourism, and natural resource based enterprises;
- Promote cultural linkages between countries in the region. People are often linked across borders by kinship, language and culture.
In terms of Governance to:
- Strengthen regional integration and cooperation;
- Promote peace and harmony.
For more information click here
Destination marketing of TFCAs
Nine Southern African countries have elected the Boundless Southern African brand as a means of showcasing the various transfrontier conservation areas. They are united through their passion for nature, culture and community. Through Boundless, these countries offer tourists so much more in terms of experiencing wildlife and scenic beauty in pristine destinations. Boundless also affords tourists the opportunity to engage directly with local communities and learn about their culture, history and sustained conservation of the environment and cultural heritage.
The following TFCAs are showcased by Boundless Southern Africa:
- /Ai-/Ais – Richtersveld Transfrontier
- Great Limpopo Transfrontier
- Greater Mapungubwe Transfrontier Conservation
- Kavango Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier
- Lubombo Transfrontier Conservation
- Maloti Drakensberg Transfrontier Conservation Area