MADRID, Spain – Tourism initiatives and scholars from around the world will once again be recognized for their outstanding contribution to the sector at the UNWTO Awards Ceremony to be held at the International Tourism Trade Fair (FITUR) in Madrid, Spain, on 28 January 2015.
Since 2003, the UNWTO Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Tourism have honored tourism initiatives and individuals for their contribution to tourism through knowledge and innovation, in line with the principles of the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics for Tourism and the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
The 11th edition of the UNWTO Awards will celebrate remarkable achievements in the following categories:
UNWTO Ulysses Prize for Excellence in the Creation and Dissemination of Knowledge
Dr. Eduardo Fayos-Solà from Spain has been named the winner of the 11th UNWTO Ulysses Prize for Excellence in the Creation and Dissemination of Knowledge for his significant contributions to the practical application of tourism knowledge. Dr. Eduardo Fayos-Solà has dedicated his career to advancing the theory and practice of tourism policy and governance from various positions in academia, the private sector, government, and international organizations. Among his many accomplishments, he served as an adviser to the first democratically elected parliament of Spain on public policy matters, including tourism, and was the driving force behind the creation and implementation of Spain’s first Tourism Policy Plan.
UNWTO Ulysses Awards for Innovation
The UNWTO Awards recognizes achievements in tourism innovation in four sub-categories: Public Policy and Governance, Enterprises, Non-governmental Organizations, and Research and Technology. Below are this year’s finalists, in alphabetical order:
UNWTO Ulysses Award for Innovation in Public Policy and Governance
• Domestic Tourism Promotion Initiative “Y tú, qué planes?”,Commission for the Promotion of Exports and Tourism – PromPeru (Peru)
• Fragrances and Tastes of Lošinj, Mali Lošinj Tourist Board (Croatia)
• The Use of Open Innovation in Co-Creating Vienna’s Tourism Strategy 2020, Vienna Tourist Board(Austria)
UNWTO Ulysses Award for Innovation in Enterprises
• Inspira Santa Marta Hotel, Hotel Santa Marta S.A. (Portugal)
• Isoitok Camp Manyara, The African Footprint Co ltd (Tanzania)
• Routes the Coffee Cultural Landscape, Chamber of Commerce in Armenia, Quindío (Colombia)
UNWTO Ulysses Award for Innovation in Non-Governmental Organizations
• Conserving Wildlife and Empowering Communities in Namibia, World Wildlife Fund for Nature (Namibia)
• Promotion of Local Culture in the Sundarbans Impact Zone in Bangladesh through Cultural Ecotourism and Entrepreneurship, Relief International – UK (Bangladesh)
• Taste of Fethiye, The Travel Foundation (Turkey)
• Visit Amsterdam, See Holland, Amsterdam Marketing (The Netherlands)
UNWTO Ulysses Award for Innovation in Research and Technology
• Building a Community of Conscious Globetrotter Making a Positive Impact through Ethical and Responsible Tourism, Freeedom – Explore Experience Empower (Australia)
• China Tourism Economy Monitoring and Early Warning System, China Tourism Academy (China)
• Key Figures : Amsterdam as a Convention Destination, Amsterdam Marketing (The Netherlands)
• Visit Europe iPad App, European Travel Commission
The winners and runner-ups of the UNWTO Ulysses Awards for Innovation will be presented during the UNWTO Awards Ceremony to be held on 28 January 2015.
Prior to the Ceremony, the Awards Symposium to be held on 27 January will bring together the current and previous UNWTO Ulysses Prize Laureates as well the finalists of the UNWTO Awards for Innovation to share their experiences.